Our Carbon Footprint
What is a Carbon Footprint?
It is the measure of human activity quantified in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. There are multiple benefits to developing an annual GHG inventory to calculate our carbon footprint. We are able to identify the greatest sources of GHG emissions within our organization, establish a basis for developing sustainability strategies, set goals and targets for future reductions, and track progress in reducing emissions and towards meeting other sustainability goals, like energy and cost savings.
Our Carbon Footprint
We began assessing GHG emissions in 2006 and in 2008 developed our first carbon footprint. In 2011 we improved our process by selecting the carbon accounting software, Mosaic - offered by Renewable Choice Energy, to help automate data collection and calculation. We continue to work to refine these processes to accurately record and calculate our impacts.
From 2011-2013, we reduced our emissions by 3.3 percent. Our 2013 inventory showed notable reductions in Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions. Scope 1 emissions are in our direct control and are most often the primary focus of emissions reduction strategies. Our 2013 results showed:
- A decrease in Scope 2 GHG emissions partially resulting from investments in strategic energy efficiency retrofits on the Omaha campus.
- A decrease of 3,721 square feet across all HDR facilities.
- Increases in Scope 3 emissions related to business air travel and employee commutes, primarily due to the 8 percent increase in full time employees (FTE) and international travel.
- A reduction in car rentals, attributed to employees using alternative transportation during business travel.
- A reduction in paper consumption due to double-sided printing mandates.
Our Emission Reduction Target
Our target is to reduce GHG emission levels 20 percent by 2020 from our 2011 baseline, adjusted for growth.
This goal was developed by assessing the goals and targets of other similar firms in our industry as well as assessing national and international emissions reduction targets.
We will achieve this reduction through targeted investments in operations and improved sustainable business practices, as well as education and awareness initiatives.
We are ahead of our reduction target. Our business-as-usual projections show that we would have been at 75,917 MTCO2e* in 2013 without any reductions and anticipated increase in growth, whereas our actual emissions for 2013 were 67,639 MTCO2e.
Details about our carbon footprint are published in HDR's Sustainability + Corporate Responsibility Report.
*MTCO2e - Metric Tons Carbon Dioxide Equivalent is the unit of measure used to compare emissions from various greenhouse gases based upon their global warming potential (GWP).