As the University of Nebraska Omaha's (UNO) main assembly building, the new Baxter Arena is a physical representation of UNO's athletic brand and anchors the southern extent of the campus. The facility is designed to serve multiple activities, weaving together function and aesthetics.
HDR and Lempka Edson Architects completed master planning and architectural and engineering design services for the new arena. The arena offers a full-spectrum student life experience, reinforces the brand for UNO Athletics, and engages Omaha's vibrant Aksarben Village culture. Baxter Arena is home to UNO's Frozen Four-level hockey team as well as the school's emerging Division I basketball and volleyball programs, and has the capacity to host campus recreation activities and graduation ceremonies.
The arena was completed in time for the Mavericks' first hockey game in October 2015.
- 2016 Grand Award, Engineering Excellence Awards - American Council of Engineering Companies of Nebraska
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 173,000 SF (16,070 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Design, Engineering, Engineering & Design, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, MEP Engineering, Master Planning, Signage & Wayfinding, Site Design, Site Selection, Structural Engineering, Wayfinding Planning & Design
- Project Components: Assembly Space, Concession/Food Service, Ice Arena, Locker Room, Press/Media, Stadium
- Project Type: Sports Arena
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Sport & Recreation
- Related Links: