Bayview Research Center at Johns Hopkins Bayview Campus
NIH's National Institute on Aging (NIA) and National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) are collocated in this research facility, furthering a long-term collaborative relationship between NIH and Johns Hopkins.
NIA and NIDA operate as two completely independent facilities requiring dedicated office and research space. The NIDA also includes adolescent and adult clinics.
The facility is designed to maintain separation and provide discretion where required, while also delivering shared amenities which the individual institutions would not have been able to afford independently. For example, NIDA's traditional vivarium is stacked on NIA's "bio-bubble" animal housing, but the two share mechanical redundancies in an interstitial space.
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 570,000 SF (52,950m2)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Planning
- Project Components: Atrium, Auditorium, BSL 2 Biocontainment, Biology Laboratory, Conference Room, Library, Offices, Outpatient Clinic, Training Facilities, Vivarium
- Project Type: Federal, Headquarters, Healthcare, Science + Technology, Translational Health Science, Vivaria
- Related Projects: Architecture, Federal, Federal Architecture, Science & Technology, Translational Health Sciences, Vivaria