Children's National Medical Center
With the client's guiding principles in mind, HDR designed the fit-out of a new inpatient pediatric floor at this pre-eminent healthcare facility which has served the area's children for 140 years. The significant challenge in this project was to have the floor "match" the layout of the existing hospital, yet inject some new design ideas while following previously established hospital guidelines.
The beds and the unit were designed as universal, or acuity-adaptable, for maximum flexibility. Each patient room is standardized and same-handed, the first of its kind in the hospital. The rooms are also zoned to allow medical staff quick access to patients, while accommodating family in a separate zone. This encourages optimum family participation in patient care.
Other overall guiding principles identified were patient and family-centered care, with private rooms, a safe, secure and quiet environment, decentralized services and staff, efficient flow of staff and work processes, and improved signage and wayfinding.
- Type of Construction: Expansion
- Size: 60,490 SF (5,619 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Construction Administration, Healthcare Consulting, Interior Design, MEP Engineering, Program Validation
- Project Components: Decentralized Nurse Stations, Inpatient Beds, Pediatric, Playroom, Staff Lounge
- Project Type: Acute Care Hospital, Children’s Hospital
- Related Projects: Acute Care, Architecture, Healthcare, Healthcare Consulting, Specialty Centers
- Related Links: