Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre
Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre is a high-profile community recreation center that initially served as a volunteer training facility for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Winter Games. Our work on this award-winning facility encompassed three phases—including a 23,000 square-foot building, an outdoor, covered skate park, and a 5,000 square-foot second floor expansion. Key goals involved creating an iconic design that met the City of Surrey's recreation facility standards for Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED), durability, multi-functionality, and the ability to accommodate future expansion. Located at the Tom Binnie Park in the City Center neighborhood, it also provides a catalyst for positive change in a developing urban neighborhood.
Designed to evoke the dynamics of sport through color, transparency, and sweeping shapes, the Chuck Bailey Recreation Centre features a glass-cube entry and a structure that combines concrete and wood, helping to showcase BC wood—a theme emphasized throughout.
A highly innovative feature of the building is the west wall of the facility that is designed to display digital art. The City operates the Urban Screen on a nightly basis, featuring leading-edge digital works by both British Columbian and international artists. The Centre provides the community with a safe, accessible place for recreation and social connection—a bright spot in a colorful neighborhood.
- Fraser Valley Commercial Real Estate Award, 2011
- Community Leader Award, Wood WORKS! BC, 2010
- Outstanding Architectural Project, American Shotcrete Association, 2010
- Sustainable Features: Daylighting & Views, Local/Regional Materials, Rapidly-renewable Materials
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 28,000 SF (2,600 SM) + 18,000 SF (1,672 SM) Skate Park
- Professional Services: Architecture, Design, Interior Design, Programming
- Project Components: Child Minding, Childcare, Gymnasium, Indoor Recreation Area, Outdoor Recreation Area, Senior Center, Skate Park, Youth Center
- Project Type: Community Center
- Related Projects: Architecture, Sport & Recreation