Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi
The Government of Abu Dhabi is taking bold steps to improve local access to world-class healthcare and reduce the need for patients to travel abroad for care. One of the flagship facilities supporting these efforts is Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, a multispecialty hospital designed to address the range of complex and critical care requirements specific to the region.
Exporting the Cleveland Clinic model of healthcare to Abu Dhabi required considerable planning in the design phase. Working together with Mubadala Development Company, more than 300 physicians and clinical personnel were involved in the design of each of the clinical and specialized care areas, and hundreds of architects, interior designers and planners from around the world contributed to the building's design. The result is a medical campus that seamlessly combines high-performance architecture with innovative technology and world-class care—creating one of the most advanced and patient-centered hospitals in the world.
The hospital avoids the characteristic maze-like layout of other healthcare facilities by housing each healthcare component in its own individual architectural form. The straightforward stacking of the forms creates efficiencies for staff, intuitive wayfinding for visitors, and an architectural icon that can be seen from miles away.
Although world-class in its approach to care, the hospital is overlaid with a suite of cultural references that ground the project in Abu Dhabi. Arabesque patterns and regional color palettes are seamlessly integrated into the interiors to provide patients with a sense of familiarity. On the exterior, much of the building is enclosed by distinctive diamond glazing, with the diamond shapes representing a subtle nod to Islamic geometry. The exterior colors are inspired by the region's landscape; glass echoes the striking blues of the sea, while onyx pays tribute to the desert and arid landscape.
- 2016 Bronze Award - Modern Healthcare Design Awards
- 2015 Merit Award, Built category - American Institute of Architecture (AIA) Middle East
- 2015 Best Hospital Design - Building Healthcare Middle East Awards
- 2015 Best Sustainable Hospital Project - Building Healthcare Middle East Awards
- 2015 People's Choice - Building Healthcare Middle East Awards
- 2010 Best Hospital Design Award, Future, Hospital Build & Infrastructure Middle East Awards
- 2009 Citation, Unbuilt, Modern Healthcare Design Awards
- Sustainable Features: Alternative Energy, Daylighting & Views, Energy Efficiency, Erosion & Sedimentation Control, LEED Registered, Low-Emitting Materials, Water Efficient Landscaping, Water Use Reduction
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 2,300,000 SF (213,676 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Conceptual Design, Healthcare Consulting, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, Master Planning, Planning, Pre-Design, Site Design, Sustainable Design Consulting
- Project Components: Admitting/Registration, Ambulatory Services, Atrium/Lobby, Cardiology, Clinical Laboratory and Phlebotomy, Dining Area/Café, Emergency Department, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Healing Garden, Imaging, Inpatient Beds, Intensive Care Unit, Meditation Space, Office Space, Oncology, Outpatient Clinic, Parking, Research, Surgery (inpatient), Transplant
- Project Type: Academic Medical Center, Acute Care Hospital, Ambulatory Care Facility, Campus Master Plan, Emergency/Trauma Care Center, Medical Office Building
- Related Projects: Academic, Acute Care, Ambulatory Care, Architecture, Healthcare, Healthcare Consulting, Specialty Centers
- Related Links: