Cloverdale Recreation Centre
The Cloverdale Recreation Centre was the first public facility developed under the City of Surrey's master plan for the Cloverdale Fairgrounds. As the neighborhood continues to evolve, the challenge was to develop a design that would set the precedent for the entire area. Situated along a major north-south artery and adjacent to the existing entry archway of the fairgrounds, the 65,000 SF, two-story building is a prominent community landmark.
After an extensive community engagement process, we developed an innovative design that emphasizes interconnectivity of spaces and functional requirements for a range of users. The facility features a twin gymnasium, a 10,000 SF fitness center, multi-purpose rooms, generous support facilities, and program spaces dedicated to seniors, youth and for child care.
The City of Surrey's additional goal for the project emphasizes using wood in an expressive, yet economical way. To achieve this we developed a uniform wood beam shape that could be connected in different configurations. This results in a building that provides dramatic interior spaces and a fluid, wave-like exterior. An elliptical entry creates a focal point that helps to separate the building's more residential scale from the sections that face the highway.
The Cloverdale Recreation Centre was completed on schedule and on budget, providing a community-oriented facility that highlights the evolution of Cloverdale from a primarily rural area to a dynamic part of British Columbia's fastest growing city. Cloverdale Recreation Centre represents a culture of change that respects Cloverdale's past and celebrates its bright future.
Following the City of Surrey's Sustainability Charter, it was also developed as a pilot project to test its alternate green building design system. We took the project through the Green Globes design process system to better understand and evaluate alternative systems available to communities.
- BC Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA) Facility of Excellence, 2012
- Fraser Valley Real Estate Board Award of Merit, Community Institutional, 2012
- Sustainable Features: Rapidly-renewable Materials
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 65,000 SF (6,039 SM)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Design, Interior Design, Programming
- Project Components: Child Minding, Childcare, Fitness Center, Gymnasium, Multipurpose Space, Senior Center, Support Space, Youth Center
- Project Type: Community Center
- Related Projects: Architecture, Sport & Recreation