Cooper Medical School
This new academic research building is a critical element in establishing a new medical college known as the Cooper Medical School at Rowan University in Camden, New Jersey. Designed to embrace the historic architectural character found throughout the City of Camden, the building provides space dedicated to both teaching and research programs.
The academic component reflects a four-year medical program and includes basic science teaching, small group rooms, Gross Anatomy, and clinical skills and simulation labs. A 250-person lecture hall and reconfigurable multi-purpose rooms that hold up to 110 students each also support the program. All teaching spaces are designed to accommodate current and future technology-rich teaching methods needed to support the program pedagogy. Administrative, faculty, and student offices combine with informal gathering areas to help foster interaction among students and faculty. The project achieved LEED Gold Certification.
- 2013 Award of Merit, Guth Award for Interior Lighting - Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) Illumination Awards
- 2013 Certificate of Merit, Guth Award for Interior Lighting - Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) Philament Award, Philadelphia
- Sustainable Features: Brownfield Redevelopment, Certified Wood, Construction IAQ Management Plan, Construction Waste Management, Energy Efficiency, Green Roof, Heat Island Reduction Strategies, LEED Gold, Local/Regional Materials, Low-Emitting Materials, Occupant Lighting Control, Public Transportation Access, Recycled-content Materials, Recycling , Water Efficient Landscaping, Water Use Reduction
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 200,000 SF (18,580 m2)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Planning
- Project Components: Auditorium, Classroom, Collaborative Spaces, Computer Simulation Laboratory, Conference Room, Demonstration Laboratory, Lecture Hall, Offices, Teaching Laboratory
- Project Type: Academic Building, Academic Medical Center
- Related Projects: Academic, Teaching, Translational Health Sciences