County of Santa Clara Crime Laboratory
This new LEED Gold certified crime laboratory is a state-of-the-art facility which meets the needs of the ever-evolving forensic sciences. It also meets a number of other program requirements: it is sustainable, energy efficient, maintains evidence security, addresses contamination concerns for evidence and staff, meets ASCLD accreditation requirements and provides a safe working environment.
As technologies and equipment advance, the flexibility of the building's design will enable it to accommodate those changes in order to serve the residents of the County for decades to come. The new crime laboratory was the first county project to address LEED energy saving goals. It was selected for inclusion in the Justice Facilities Review 2009.
- Sustainable Features: Construction Waste Management, Daylighting & Views, Energy Efficiency, LEED Gold, Labs 21, Low-Emitting Materials, Occupant Lighting Control, Occupant Thermal Control, Recycled-content Materials, Stormwater Management, Water Efficient Landscaping, Water Use Reduction
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 90,072 SF (8,368 m2)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Needs Assessment, Programming, Security Consulting, Sustainable Design Consulting, Telecommunications Consulting
- Project Components: Central Evidence Storage, Classroom/Training, Computer Forensics Unit, DNA/Serology Unit, Education/Training Area, Evidence Triage Unit, Firearms/Toolmarks Unit, Firing Range, Forensic Biology Lab, Forensic Laboratory, Latent Prints Lab, Office Space, Photography Studio, Questioned Documents Lab, Special Hazardous Evidence Examination Laboratory, Support Spaces, Toxicology Unit, Trace Evidence Laboratory, Vehicle Examination Area
- Project Type: Crime Laboratory, Forensics
- Related Projects: Architecture, Forensics, Justice
- Related Links: