Dongzhimen Hospital of Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Phase II
This addition transforms an existing hospital into a comprehensive translational research campus where traditional healing services—including herbal medicine with on-site herb gardens, acupuncture and traditional wellness practices—occur alongside world-class medical diagnostic and procedural technology and inpatient and outpatient care. The project integrates health practices together with cutting-edge research labs and education facilities. The addition will increase the bed count of the existing hospital by 680 beds—bringing the total bed count to more than 1,000—and add more than one million square feet (100,000 m²) of new clinical, research and education space.
The facility is rooted in translational healthcare principles, offering spaces that facilitate conversations and the exchange of ideas between caregivers and researchers. The design is inspired by traditional Chinese architecture, embracing natural materials, integrating landscape design and Fung Shui principles. It incorporates clear spatial and structural hierarchies, and connections to nature—via daylight, trellis covered courtyards, natural gardens, water features, sculptures and artwork, exercise yards and meditative spaces—creating a facility with deep ties to Chinese healing and wellness traditions.
- Type of Construction: Addition, Expansion
- Size: 1,000,000 SF (100,000 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Conceptual Design, Healthcare Consulting, Master Planning, Medical Equipment Planning, Schematic Design
- Project Components: Ambulatory Services, Atrium/Lobby, Healing Garden, Inpatient Beds, Outpatient Clinic, Wellness Center
- Project Type: Healthcare, Translational Health Science
- Related Projects: Architecture, Healthcare, Specialty Centers