The redevelopment of Erina Fair increased the shopping center size from 731,945 SF (68,000 SM) to more than 1.1 million SF (103,000 SM), making it the largest single-story shopping center in the Southern Hemisphere.
Central to the success of the project was the client's statement, "You must remember we are not just building a shopping centre. We are building a community." These words made the retail project one of the first in Australia to consider shopping centre as a piece of urban design, which led it to being awarded the NSW AIA's Premier's Award—the first retail project ever to receive the honor.
Erina Fair opens the traditional shopping center "box" to the outside—creating an open-air, town-inspired environment built along an avenue that fuses with the existing fabric through a series of inner courts. In addition to new retail stores—increasing the number of retail options to 330—the development includes an ice skating rink, a restaurant precinct, a health and fitness club and supermarket, and community facilities including a library, community hall and youth recreation center.
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 1.1 million SF (103,000 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Interior Design, Master Planning
- Project Components: Anchor Retailers, Boutique Retailers, Courtyard, Food Court, Garden, Parking Garage, Public Art
- Related Projects: Architecture, Retail & Mixed-Use