Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC), Mock Port-of-Entry and Border Patrol Station
To enhance the ability to train agents from a wide variety of law enforcement agencies, FLETC had HDR design a new state-of-the-art port-of-entry and border patrol station training facility for its Georgia campus.
HDR completed all design work as well as an Environmental Assessment (EA) for the new facility, which features an exact replica of a port-of-entry to simulate real-life situations at air, land and sea ports-of-entry into the United States as well as a Border Patrol Station. Using the DHS Design Guides, which were authored by HDR, the Mock Port-of-Entry/Border Patrol Station training facility provides for a high level of flexibility to ensure that it can be easily reconfigured to meet the needs of changing technology and training methodology. The building's "transparent" architectural expression delivers visual control between the primary inspection of vehicles at the booths and the secondary inspection at the public counter inside the building. Sunlight into the public space is moderated by sun control louvers cantilevered from the curtainwall frame. Additionally, the high space in the lobby houses an observation mezzanine from which activities can be video taped for training purposes.
- Sustainable Features: Measurement & Verification
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 25,000 SF
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Security Consulting
- Project Components: Classroom, Computer Laboratory, Detention, Office Space, Secure Detention
- Project Type: Administration Building, Border Patrol Station, Land Port of Entry
- Related Projects: Architecture, Defense, Federal Architecture
- Related Links: