Grand Portage National Monument Seasonal Housing
HDR, the Chippewa people, and Midwest Regional Office of the National Park Service (MWRONPS) turned the need for permanent housing at Grand Portage National Monument into an opportunity for sustainability and collaboration that will serve as a prototype for NPS housing across the nation.
The residence replaces dilapidated trailers and scattered leased properties, and will house 16 seasonal employees in an innovative duplex that has received Platinum LEED certification for each of the duplex units.
The Chippewa tribe, a prominent and important stakeholder in the area, supported and built the project. The tribe leased the land to NPS for $1, and provided all contracting and construction services. The sustainable design pays homage to this people's environmental ethic and respect for the natural world, beauty, and historical significance of the region. This unique collaboration resulted in innovative, sustainable solutions, cost savings, and cooperative planning.
The design is a duplex housing unit with each half containing four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a great room, dining space and a large kitchen. An example of the most noteworthy sustainable elements include:
- In-floor hydronic radiant heating system
- Solar photovoltaic membrane roof system for electrical power
- "Rainscreen" exterior wall system with a continuous airspace
Upon completion, the structure was rigorously tested to ensure that the design's sustainability features resulted in true efficiency. This building's design and construction is a model for sustainable and collaborative design for the National Park System and other communities.
- Sustainable Features: Building Reuse, Construction Waste Management, Daylighting & Views, Design Charrette, Energy Conservation, Energy Efficiency, Energy Star, Federal Energy Mandates, Green Roof, LEED Certified, LEED Platinum, Low-Emitting Materials, Measurement & Verification, Occupant Lighting Control, Occupant Thermal Control, Photovoltaics, Recycled-content Materials, Recycling , Renewable Energy On-site, Sustainability Review, Water Reuse, Water Use Reduction
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 4,356 square feet
- Professional Services: Construction Management, Design Development, Design/Construction Review, Energy Management & Conservation, Engineering & Design, MEP Engineering, Structural Engineering, Sustainable Design Consulting
- Project Components: Housing, Kitchen
- Project Type: Engineering, Federal, Renewable Energy
- Related Projects: Architecture, Federal, Federal Architecture, Federal Energy, Federal Engineering
- Related Links: