Hidalgo County Courthouse
We're collaborating with ERO to deliver a new 321,000-square-foot, six-story courthouse in Edinburg, Texas. Designed to accommodate 24 District and County Courtrooms and one Court of Appeals, District and County Clerks, Jury Services, Public Defender, and Indigent Defense, it also includes the Hidalgo County Bar Association. Detention spaces will provide spaces for defendants in custody within ground floor central holding and additional space will be allocated to each court floor as needed.
Along with the courthouse, a central utility plant is also planned within a separate building on the site and provisions have been made for secure parking for judges and elected officials. The new courthouse provides a single security screening area, parking, a food court for the public and staff, and a loading dock area. Additionally, the jail addition and expansion adds 1,000 beds to the jail.
Embracing the culture of the area, the design pays homage to the land, the people, and the history of the Rio Grande Valley.The chosen site closes and diverts US Hwy 281 to create an enlarged two-block downtown square coordinated with the City of Edinburg Downtown Master Plan. The pedestrian approach incorporates and highlights landscaping, paving, and fountains to reflect the regional themes of ranching, agriculture and the Rio Grande River.
HDR is serving as the judicial consultant on the project.
- Type of Construction: Addition, Expansion, New Construction
- Size: 321,000 SF (29,822 m2)
- Professional Services: Strategic Consulting
- Project Components: Central Utility Plant, Commissary, Courtroom, Food Service/Cafeteria, Holding Cell, Judges' Chambers, Jury Assembly Space, Loading Dock, Parking, Secure Detention, Visitor Processing
- Project Type: Civic, Courthouse, Detention, Jail, Justice
- Related Projects: Architecture, Courts, Detention, Justice