This new flagship public health facility for the State of Iowa supports environmental quality and public health on an international level by providing services for assessment, surveillance, research and development, and technology transfer, as well as leadership and education on a local level. The University Hygienic Laboratory (UHL) includes BSL-3 laboratories for microbiology for biological and chemical terrorism.
With the FDA, the Iowa Department of Public Health, the CDC, and other public health officials, UHL has established a structure to provide rapid and effective lab services in case of disaster: the Laboratory Response Network proved effective in the anthrax attack, and is a testament to cooperation and success in emergency preparedness.
HDR collaborated with OPN Architects on this project.
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 112,000 SF (10,100m2)
- Professional Services: Engineering, Laboratory Design
- Project Components: ABSL 3 Biocontainment, Biology Research Laboratory, Teaching Laboratory
- Project Type: Academic, Academic Building, Basic and Applied Science Facilities, Research Laboratory
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Public Health, Research, Science & Technology