Jennie Smoly Caruthers Systems Biotechnology Building
The Colorado Initiative in Systems Biotechnology fosters new research, education and technical development at the interface of life sciences, physical sciences, applied mathematics, computational sciences and engineering utilizing a unified multi-disciplinary or systems approach by multiple disciplines. The focus of the initiative is to understand and manipulate living cells and their genetic material as well as control cellular behavior through a global analysis of molecular events using methods spanning a continuum from basic to applied research. The synergistic linkage of the basic sciences, engineering, clinical practice and industry will lead to the development of additional technologies, medications and techniques for improving human lives.
The Systems Biotechnology Building is home to three major University of Colorado at Boulder units: the Colorado Initiative in Molecular Biotechnology; the Biochemistry Division of the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry in the College of Arts and Sciences; and the Chemical & Biological Engineering Department in the College of Engineering and Applied Science. The facility supports the unique needs of these units and foster interactive and interdisciplinary research teams, graduate and undergraduate discovery learning as well as collaboration with industry partners. The building is the flagship for redevelopment and expansion of the East Campus at CU-Boulder.
HDR is the laboratory planner and architect of record; Robert AM Stern Architects is the design architect.
- 2012 Grand Prize - America's Best Buildings of the Year (ABBY) Awards, Buildings magazine
- 2012 Award of Merit, Higher Education Category - ENR Mountain States, Best Projects contest
- Type of Construction: Addition
- Size: 336,000 SF (31,210m²)
- Professional Services: Laboratory Design
- Project Components: Atrium, Biology Research Laboratory, Chemistry Research Laboratory, Classroom, Collaborative Spaces
- Project Type: Academic Building, Research Laboratory
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Life Sciences, Research, Science & Technology, Teaching