Joslyn Art Museum Scott Pavilion
Completed in 1931, the Joslyn Art Museum is one of the finest Art Deco buildings in the United States. The Joslyn is unusual among North America's arts venues in combining art and music in one complex, with a 1,200-seat concert hall flanked on each side by two narrow floors of art galleries. The challenge was to reemphasize the public front of the museum and design a new wing that did not detract from the clarity of the original concept.
HDR collaborated with Foster + Partners to plan and design the addition to the museum. Clad in matching pink Etowah Fleuri marble from the same Georgian quarry that supplied the original building, the new wing adopts a solid, unarticulated form with similar proportions to the existing museum. Linking the new and old wings, a glass atrium forms a new social space, providing restaurant facilities and a secondary public entrance. The floor below comprises storage vaults, workshops, cloakrooms, a kitchen and a restaurant servery.
The addition accommodates the museum's collection of 20th century and Western-American art and includes special exhibition space. Included in the project was the renovation of the 1,200-seat concert hall. The renovations energized the acoustics of the music hall and allowed for upgrades to the technical equipment and refurbishment of the light and sound booth.
- Type of Construction: Addition
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, Site Design
- Project Components: Assembly Space, Atrium, Auditorium, Concert Hall, Courtyard, Multipurpose Space, Recital Hall, Restaurant
- Project Type: Fine Arts, Museum
- Related Projects: Architecture, Civic