King Abdulaziz University (KAU) Health Sciences Center and University Campus Project
King Abdulaziz University is a top ranked school in the Saudi region and a pioneering institution for medical research and education in the Middle East. HDR worked with the university for nearly two decades, providing programming, planning and design for the King Abdulaziz University (KAU) Health Sciences Center and the University Campus Project. HDR's design work at the university encompassed more than 8-million-square-feet of space, making it one of the largest architecture projects in HDR's history.
The 3.5-million-square-foot Health Sciences Center included patient care and academic facilities, research laboratories, housing, general support facilities and utility plants. The approximately 5-million-square-foot University Campus Project included main academic facilities related to the arts and sciences.
The design of all facilities respects Islamic traditions and heritage and responds to cultural and environmental traditions that symbolize Saudi Arabia's aspirations for the future. Prayer rooms are included throughout all facilities, oversized spaces accommodate large family visits, domes and arches are symbolic of Islamic culture, traditional octagon patterns are used in screens and motifs, and indigenous materials and colors reflect the local vernacular. The majority of spaces were also designed with expansion in mind, and many were expanded in the years following HDR's work. As it stands today, the King Abdulaziz University is a testament to Saudi Arabia's commitment to higher education, and a grand example of the Islamic way of life.
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture
- Project Components: Atrium, Auditorium, Classroom, Collaborative Spaces, Conference Rooms, Courtyard, Demonstration Laboratory, Lecture Hall, Library, Offices
- Project Type: Academic Building, Higher Education
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Life Sciences, Research, Science & Technology