Kingston General Hospital
An acute tertiary care teaching hospital, Kingston General Hospital has received major additions/renovations to a number of units that now provide patients, families and staff with improved access, additional space and enhanced privacy. In total, the project added 170,000 square feet of new space and renovated 143,000 square feet of its existing facility—never closing during four years and 31 phases of construction.
The project provided an opportunity for the design team to foster a new identity and sense of place for the expanded areas of the campus. Building carefully on the local vernacular, natural stone was reintroduced to the campus along with contemporary materials such as curtain wall, glass, and metal panel systems.
- Type of Construction: Addition, Renovation
- Size: Expansion: 170,000 SF (15,794 m²); Renovation: 143,000 (13,285 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture
- Project Components: Dialysis, Inpatient Beds, Intensive Care Unit, Oncology, Pediatric, Psychiatric
- Project Type: Academic Medical Center, Acute Care Hospital, Cancer Center
- Related Projects: Academic, Acute Care, Architecture, Specialty Centers
- Related Links: