Little Sandy Correctional Complex
The project team assisted the Commonwealth in planning, programming, designing, and procurement and design/construction review of the first phase of this medium security prison. The 1,790-bed facility represents Kentucky's first major design-build project, particularly for corrections. The four wing facility is arranged around a central quad and features a central guard tower with tunnel access and card readers on cell doors replacing the use of keys. Significant work was also done to modify the site, identify utilities, create a new highway route, and accommodate Phase 2, which will add 816 new beds.
The project is a tri-venture with Arch II, HDR Architecture and HMB.
- Sustainable Features: Geothermal Energy
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 400,000 SF (37,161 m2)
- Professional Services: Bridging, Design/Construction Review, Planning, Procurement, Programming
- Project Components: Central Utility Plant, Inmate Housing, Medical Unit, Support Spaces
- Project Type: Corrections, Prison
- Related Projects: Architecture, Corrections, Justice