Mary Bridge Children's Hospital and Health Center Expansion
A two-floor expansion housing general pediatric beds and the hospital's Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). The addition replaces aging infrastructure and responds to an increasing demand for children's healthcare services in the South Puget Sound region.
The exterior design uses patterned red brick, metal and glass to seamlessly blend in with the structure below. The interior design follows a maritime theme that focuses on the landmarks and life found in and around Washington's South Puget Sound. This theme is seen in all areas of the expansion, from patient footwalls adorned with very stylized illustrations of coastal life to a play area featuring colorful fish shapes dangling from the ceiling, an aquarium teeming with life, expansive artwork done by local artists, and photographs of sea animals living at Tacoma's Point Defiance Zoo.
- Type of Construction: Expansion
- Size: 52,000 SF (4,830 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Construction Administration, Interior Design, Signage & Wayfinding
- Project Components: Atrium/Lobby, Decentralized Nurse Stations, Inpatient Beds, Intensive Care Unit, Office Space, Pediatric, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Playroom, School Room, Staff Lounge
- Project Type: Children’s Hospital, Healthcare
- Related Projects: Architecture, Healthcare, Healthcare Consulting, Specialty Centers
- Related Links: