National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratory (NEIDL)
The National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL) is the flagship facility of a national network of secure biomedical research facilities.
NEIDL supports researchers developing diagnostics, vaccines and therapeutics to combat emerging infectious diseases, both naturally occurring and deliberately introduced through bioterrorism.
In addition to comprehensive core facilities that enable basic, translational and clinical research, NEIDL also houses BSL-4 and ABSL-4 laboratories that operate at the highest level of containment, balancing essential security requirements with the accessibility vital to its urban context.
The facility is one of two National Biocontainment Laboratory constructed under a grant awarded by NIAID.
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 191,000 SF (17,740 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Planning
- Project Components: ABSL 3 Biocontainment, ABSL 4 Biocontainment, Aerobiology, BSL 2 Biocontainment, BSL 3 Biocontainment, BSL4 Biocontainment, Clinical Research Laboratory, Imaging, Immunology, Insectarium, Offices, Proteomics, Training Facilities, Vivarium
- Project Type: Academic, Containment, Controlled Environment, Higher Education, Research Laboratory, Science + Technology, Vivaria
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Containment, Research, Science & Technology