Norfolk Operations Center
When Nebraska Public Power District leaders realized they needed to upgrade and consolidate a group of aging and geographically separated operational facilities, they did more than simply build a functional new facility. They decided that helping their customer base understand both the need for energy efficiency and the variety of renewable technologies available would be a key element of their consolidated operations center. They decided to move beyond talking "green" by being "green," by building a LEED Gold certified center that includes a public energy education center.
The design for the Norfolk Operations Center blends technology with sustainability in an 87,000-square-foot facility, integrating three key innovative alternate energy components to support the complementary goals of long-term energy efficiency and cost savings.
The new operations center includes:
- An expandable geothermal system with 128 ground source wells that extend 275 feet below ground.
- The largest rotating solar collection in the United States, programmed to automatically reset to the orientation of the rising sun each day.
- Three wind turbines of different types and sizes.
The combined use of these alternative energy sources provides a significant percentage of the facility's energy and will reduce energy use by nearly 35 percent over traditional construction and operation methods over the long term.
The result is a real world role model for sustainable energy use for a broad base of energy consumers.
- 2011 - National Recognition Award, American Council of Engineering Companies
- 2011 - Nebraska Honor Award, American Council of Engineering Companies
- Sustainable Features: Alternative Energy, Daylighting & Views, Energy Conservation, Energy Efficiency, Energy Management Plan, Geothermal Energy, Green Stormwater, LEED Certified, LEED Gold, Light Pollution Reduction, Low-Emitting Materials, Measurement & Verification, Occupant Lighting Control, Photovoltaics, Recycled-content Materials, Recycling , Renewable Energy On-site, Stormwater Management, Water Efficient Landscaping, Water Use Reduction
- Size: 87,000-square-foot facility
- Professional Services: Architecture, Energy Management & Conservation, Engineering & Design, Landscape Architecture, Modeling, Sustainable Design Consulting
- Related Projects: Power, Renewable Energy
- Related Links: