North Close Custody Facility Expansion
The mission of the North Close Custody Facility Expansion was to provide 900+ high security beds at a historic state penitentiary, providing additional beds, and reorganizing and revitalizing the campus. People and product flows were simplified and clarified; staff and land-use efficiency was maximized.
Four buildings in the Washington State Penitentiary North Close Custody expansion project have been awarded LEED Silver certification. HDR Architecture and Turner Construction Co., in a joint venture, provided design and construction services for this integrated design-build project. Buildings earning LEED Silver certification included the administration building, a core services facility, an intensive management/segregation unit and four-unit close-custody housing facility. This initiative included energy saving implementations, local construction participation and creative land planning. The project was delivered using the Integrated Project Delivery model within a design-build setting, resulting in a seamless transition from design to construction, providing the owner with a higher level of quality and completeness.
The North Close Custody expansion received the Best Public Building Award from Northwest Construction magazine.
- Sustainable Features: Bike Racks, Construction Waste Management, Energy Efficiency, LEED Silver, Local/Regional Materials, Measurement & Verification, Public Transportation Access, Recycled-content Materials, Stormwater Management, Water Use Reduction
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 270,000 SF
- Professional Services: Architecture, Design-Build, Engineering, Sustainable Design Consulting
- Project Components: Close Custody Beds, Education/Training Area, Food Preparation/Kitchen, Indoor Recreation Area, Inmate Dining, Inmate Housing, Intensive Management Unit, Laundry, Rehabilitation Space, Security Operations, Segregated Beds, Support Spaces
- Project Type: Corrections, Prison
- Related Projects: Architecture, Corrections, Justice
- Related Links: