Omaha Conservatory of Music
The Omaha Conservatory of Music provides private lessons in orchestral instruments and voice as well as conducting, music composition, and theory. With a significant community outreach in its String Sprouts program, the Conservatory also provides instruments and lessons to several hundred youth in the community at no cost to the student. Originally occupying space in several small, temporary locations, the Conservatory continued to grow and found itself in need of a new, dedicated home—a larger facility with teaching studios, as well as a performance venue. Opportunity presented itself when a local temple, originally constructed in 1952, relocated to a new facility leaving its existing building available to be repurposed.
The 40,000-square-foot facility offered a perfect spatial fit and venue. An adaptive reuse project, the existing classrooms were subdivided into teaching studios, the conference center converted into a café and lounge, the chapel into a recital hall, and the sanctuary and social hall converted into a performance venue with 200 fixed seats. Seating Company installed telescopic seats whose backs and bottoms fold up and retract, bleacher-style, into the back wall, to increase the seating capacity to 500.
In collaboration with Threshold Acoustics, state-of-the-art systems, including sound isolating partitions, proper room acoustics, and a new mechanical system were designed and installed .The shell of the existing facility was in good shape and needed little work with the exception of a new roof and windows (the windows were configured similar to the original) essentially preserving the original exterior architecture.
The entirely refurbished building strikes the delicate balance between establishing a new identity for the Conservatory and maintaining the character of the existing structure. Although not required at this time, the site allows for a generous addition as the conservatory continues to grow.
- Type of Construction: Renovation
- Size: 40,000 SF (3,716 SM)
- Professional Services: Acoustics, Noise & Vibration, Architecture, Design, Engineering & Design, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture
- Project Components: Assembly Space, Auditorium, Classroom, Concert Hall, Concession/Food Service, Lounge, Private Office, Reception Area, Recital Hall, Rehearsal Space, Shelled Space
- Project Type: Civic, Cultural Center, Performing Arts, Performing Arts Center
- Related Projects: Architecture, Civic