Orion Springfield Town Centre
The primary objective for Orion Springfield Town Center was to become one of Australia's most sustainable shopping centers and a true social heart for the Springfield community. Now in its seventh year of business, the center has done exactly that. It is Australia's most environmentally sustainable shopping center, the first project to receive a six-star rating by the Green Building Council Australia, and has evolved into a retail destination where visitors can shop, be entertained, do business and belong to a vibrant community.
The development reflects the best of what you would find in a traditional town center, including a main street, public square, plazas and parks. Breaking away from the "big box store" mold, the center consists of a mix of internal and external retail spaces all revolving around the new town square. From a sustainable design perspective, this open architecture allows for significant daylight penetration and natural ventilation for the majority of the year, helping reduce energy use by more than 50% compared to shopping centers of similar size.
- 2008 Queensland State President's Award – Urban Development Institute of Australia
- 2007 Queensland Shopping Centre of the Year – Property Council of Australia
- Sustainable Features: 6 Star Green-Star Rating, Bike Racks, Bioswales, Construction Waste Management, Daylighting & Views, Energy Conservation, Energy Efficiency, Green Space, Green Stormwater, Light Pollution Reduction, Local/Regional Materials, Low-Emitting Materials, Photovoltaics, Reclaimed Water, Recycled-content Materials, Water Efficient Landscaping, Water Reuse, Water Use Reduction
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 377,000 SF (35,000 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Interior Design, Master Planning
- Project Components: Alfresco Dining, Anchor Retailers, Boutique Retailers, Courtyard, Food Court, Public Art
- Project Type: Lifestyle, Mixed-Use, Retail Center, Town Center
- Related Projects: Architecture, Retail & Mixed-Use