San Bernardino Transit Center
As the architect/engineer from conceptual design through construction, we facilitated the creation of the stakeholders' bold vision and provided sound guiding principles for project design. The San Bernardino Transit Center brings together 22 Omnitrans bus station bays, an Omnitrans sbX BRT station, new Metrolink station platforms, Redlands Passenger Rail Station terminus platforms, private shuttle, taxi and bicycles to serve 6,000 riders per day. This multimodal facility is intended to consolidate transit opportunities into a single downtown site, making connections more efficient and helping to spur redevelopment and revitalization efforts in downtown San Bernardino.
Selected by a consortium of stakeholders including Omnitrans, City of San Bernardino and San Bernardino Associated Governments (SANBAG), we worked to develop an a la carte list of services to best serve these varied interests. We facilitated a visioning process to achieve stakeholder consensus and planned for a transit-oriented development (TOD) pad along Rialto Avenue with the balance of the facility wrapping around the TOD on two sides. The project's modern, clean, aesthetic was intended to create a new contemporary icon for downtown San Bernardino, inviting economic revival.
The project is designed to receive LEED® Gold Certification from the U.S. Green Buildings Council. Sustainable project features include solar photovoltaic energy generation, high-efficiency mechanical system and glazing and a large shade canopy that encircles the simple 7,200 SF building.
Project funding was provided by the Federal Transit Administration, Federal Highway Administration and the state of California through State Transit Assistance funds, Local Transportation Funds, and Proposition 1B funds. Omnitrans is the owner and operator of the San Bernardino Transit Center.
- Sustainable Features: Bike Racks, Construction Waste Management, Energy Efficiency, LEED Documentation, Local/Regional Materials, Photovoltaics, Public Transportation Access, Recycled-content Materials, Renewable Energy On-site, Water Efficient Landscaping
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Professional Services: Architecture, Public Involvement & Stakeholder Outreach, Site Design
- Project Type: Transportation
- Related Projects: Architecture, Transit, Transportation