San Juan Seismic Corrections Building 1, Administrative and Clinical Expansion and Renovation
The 480-bed, 600,000-square-foot full service medical center is the Veteran's Affairs flagship healthcare facility in the Caribbean. HDR is providing design/planning services for primary and secondary building system modifications to satisfy seismic code and hazardous material mitigation requirements. Originally constructed in 1970, Building 1 consisted of a two-story diagnostic, treatment and administration base with a nine-story inpatient tower. This original building no longer satisfies current building codes. Seismic corrections also presented opportunities to reorganize healthcare clinics and administration spaces, improving patient care and planning for future growth. HDR is planning immediate as well as future relocations and growth for 30 departments.
The initial planning focused on swing space for administrative and outpatient facilities by vertically expanding the existing Outpatient Center (a previous HDR design project), by adding 120,000 square feet, reorganizing the building infrastructure and creating upper floor links to the existing Inpatient Tower. Interior circulation planning has divided visitor traffic from service/staff activities, creating a new level of privacy for patients, security for staff and improved wayfinding for visitors. HDR is updating the facility master plan and functional space planning as part of a 10-year growth plan.
The outpatient addition has been designed to achieve at minimum LEED Silver Certification; in August 2013, the administration building achieved LEED Gold Certification. Sustainable features of the administration building include brownfield redevelopment; potable water use reduced by 21 percent from the baseline design; 66 percent of construction waste recycled; and 97 percent of the wood from FSC-certified forests.
- Sustainable Features: LEED Gold
- Type of Construction: Addition, Expansion, New Construction, Renovation
- Size: 240,000 SF (22,300 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Construction Administration, Engineering, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, MEP Engineering, Master Planning, Planning, Programming
- Project Components: Admitting/Registration, Ambulatory Services, Atrium/Lobby, Conference Room, Decentralized Nurse Stations, Educational Space, Gift Shop, Nuclear Medicine, Office Space, Outpatient Clinic, Staff Lounge
- Project Type: Ambulatory Care Facility, Construction, Federal, Healthcare, Medical Office Building, Restoration
- Related Projects: Ambulatory Care, Architecture, Federal, Federal Architecture, Healthcare
- Related Links: