Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
Creating a space that encouraged patient involvement was a driving value behind the design of this replacement hospital. An affiliate of The National Planetree Alliance, careful consideration of its 10 patient-centered components was integral throughout the functional planning and aesthetic design process for the hospital. Patients, families, and staff were provided with spaces for both solitary and social activities. Healing amenities, such as gardens, fountains, fish tanks and waterfalls connect patients, families and staff with the relaxing, invigorating, healing, and meditative aspects of nature.
A large, high volume rotunda serves as the main entry to the facility and is graced by a light, airy drop-off canopy. Upon entry into the facility, visitors and patients are greeted by a towering water sculpture whose warm metal planes pull attention upward into the light-bathed rotunda. Departments were organized along two parallel and curving circulation spines to support on-stage and off-stage circulation.
- Type of Construction: New Construction, Replacement
- Size: 339,000 SF (31,494 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Healthcare Consulting, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, Master Planning
- Project Components: Atrium/Lobby, Cardiology, Central Sterile, Dining Area/Café, Emergency Department, Imaging, Inpatient Beds, Labor-Delivery-Recovery (LDR), On-stage/Off-stage Circulation
- Project Type: Acute Care Hospital
- Related Projects: Acute Care, Healthcare, Healthcare Consulting
- Related Links: