Staten Island Transfer Station
It's the beginning of a new era in waste management for the big apple.
So together with the New York City Department of Sanitation, we're putting a plan in action. The Staten Island Transfer Station is the first of several proposed facilities to become operational since we worked with the city to develop a long-term solid waste management plan for exporting their municipal waste. According to the plan, the city's waste will be transported outside the area via rail, barge or a combination of transportation options.
We programmed, permitted and designed the award-winning 80,000-square-foot Staten Island Transfer Station to process up to 1,200 tons of waste per day. With limited space in an urban setting, waste is compacted into leak-proof intermodal containers and loaded onto flatbed rail cars for transport to landfills.
In addition to an onsite maintenance facility, the location maintains a container storage area and rail yard for intermodal container transfer. To allow rail access into the site, we completed geotechnical and surveying work, developed a wetlands mitigation plan and designed a rail bridge crossing that minimized impact to the wetlands.
With long-term plans set forth and modern facilities in place, we've helped the world's largest department of sanitation to keep New York City's streets cleaner than they've been in 35 years.
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Professional Services: Acoustics, Noise & Vibration, Architecture, Basis of Design, Civil Engineering, Commissioning, Conceptual Design, Design Development, Design Manager, Emissions Modeling, Engineering & Design, Environmental Assessment, Environmental Measurements, Final Design, Geotechnical, Landscape Architecture, Lighting Design, MEP Engineering, Master Planning, Permit Assistance, Schematic Design, Site Design, Structural Engineering
- Project Components: Brownfields, Environmental Assessement
- Project Type: Brownfields
- Related Projects: Organics Waste Management, Planning & Program Development, Solid Waste Facilities & Landfills