Waterfront Remediation and Redevelopment
The Hunts Point peninsula in the South Bronx is undergoing a transformation from a blighted and contaminated zone into an engine of economic and environmental success. The opening of a 167,000-SF Anheuser-Busch distribution facility on Hunts Point was made possible by the successful remediation of a 12-acre waterfront site performed by HDR. The site had been home to one of the largest manufactured gas plants in New York City but had been abandoned for 50 years.
The project addressed multiple and overlapping issues, from remediation of a contaminated site to protection of the coastline from a 100-year flood event and a design that allows commercial and open public space to co-exist in close proximity. Planning and implementation of Green Remediation principles minimized the environmental footprint of the cleanup and material reuse alone saved more than $6.5 million. HDR performed all elements of this complex remediation project, from investigations to design specifications, coordination with regulatory agencies and construction oversight for the LEED® Silver-eligible warehouse and distribution facility. This project showcases the success and benefits that flow from a successful partnership between private enterprise and government entities.
- 2013 - Region 2 Phoenix Award
- 2010 - National Finalist, American Council of Engineering Companies
- 2010 - Diamond Award, American Council of Engineering Companies of New York
- Sustainable Features: Green Remediation, LEED Documentation, Sustainable Sites Two-Star Certified Pilot Project
- Professional Services: Economic Evaluation of Infrastructure Investment, P3 Project Representation, Permitting, Monitoring & Compliance
- Project Type: Brownfields, Environmental Remediation
- Related Projects: Environmental, Food & Beverage, HTRW & Environmental Restoration, Industrial, Manufacturing & Basic Industry, Private Development, Waste