HDR’s Dave Culligan Wins ASCE Syracuse Section Outstanding Civil Engineer of the Year Award
Dave Culligan has been honored with the ASCE Syracuse Section Outstanding Civil Engineer of the Year Award. He was recognized for his outstanding leadership and tireless advocacy for civil engineering in the hydroelectric industry within New York State. Culligan is the managing principal of HDR’s Syracuse, New York office.
Culligan has devoted his entire career of nearly 30 years to hydropower, growing from an entry-level engineer to a managing principal and nationally recognized leader in the hydropower industry. An intelligent and passionate voice within the industry, he currently serves on the national board of directors of the National Hydropower Association.
His career highlights include:
- Serving as the collaborative link between the Department of Energy and the National Hydropower Association on developing the DOE Hydropower Vision Report, which will serve as the roadmap for hydropower growth over the next 50 years.
- Creating nationwide strategies for Brookfield Renewable Power to identify, rank and implement hydro development opportunities.
- Overseeing all regulatory and permitting issues for 75 of Brookfield Renewable Power hydro facilities in New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland, and handling all dam safety matters for Brookfield’s Hudson River region.
- Founding and growing DTA’s regional office in Syracuse (later acquired by HDR).
- Managing or taking part in relicensing nearly 50 hydroelectric facilities owned by Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation, including leading relicensing of the five-facility Black River project.
For more than a century, HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and challenge the boundaries of what’s possible. Our expertise spans 10,000 employees, in more than 225 locations around the world — and counting. Our engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services bring an impressive breadth of knowledge to every project. Our optimistic approach to finding innovative solutions defined our past and drives our future.