Smart Justice: At the Intersection of Behavioral Health and Corrections
Two important statistics illustrate why providing access to mental healthcare is one of the most significant issues in detention and corrections today. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics:
- Sixty percent of detainees report having had a symptom of mental illness in the prior 12 months.
- Three times more people with serious mental illness are in jails and prisons in the United States than in hospitals.
At HDR, we approach this issue as a design challenge. We've created and implemented both operational and facility strategies that support solutions to reverse these statistics. Our "Smart Justice" whitepaper explores the issues that have contributed to this growing problem as correctional officials seek to strike a balance between custody and care.
Download "Smart Justice: At the Intersection of Behavioural Health and Corrections" to discover five critical insights worth considering as you plan your new facilities or upgrade your existing facilities.
5 Critical Insights on Behavioural Health:
- Why Effective Behavioural Health Environments Benefit Communities
- Why It's Important to Find Alternatives to Placing Mentally Ill Detainees in Restrictive Housing
- Implementing a "Step-Down" Housing Environment
- Combining a Positive Environment with Treatment & Security
- Working with Clients to Create a Continuity of Care Plan
Complete the form below to open and download the whitepaper.