Susanne Pini, B.Arch (Hons)
“When people think of architects, they think of houses, art galleries, museums and iconic works of art. I’ve always felt that as architects, if we weren’t going to make the ordinary things better — the normal things we find in our suburbs and cities — then who would?"
A principal in our Sydney, Australia, office, Susanne leads our Retail & Mixed-Use practice globally, specializing in master planning, town centers, retail shopping centers and mixed-use developments. She has been at the forefront of an evolution that saw enclosed, isolated shopping centers become publicly engaging pieces of community infrastructure. Susanne’s unique skills encompass different spheres of design, from architectural to urban, resulting in projects which balance conflicting disciplines into projects of complexity and finesse. Learn more about Susanne
The Future of Retail is Here
The award-winning Wollongong Central shopping center expansion was pivotal in creating a truly catalytic urban transformation, affording the community the opportunity to reinvent itself with a new image, a new vision and a new attitude. Susanne shares her insights on the emerging sense of place in retail environments
and how culture, nature, industry and history came into play at Wollongong Central, and how they can manifest in future retail developments.
Enabling Wellness through Intentional Design
This presentation challenges assumptions of what wellness means in the built environment and how wellness can be embodied in a more place-specific way, at many scales, purposefully addressing local communities’ unique needs to enable their desired quality of life. Instead of asking “How might we create a wellness space?”, Susanne explores how to create a wellness network through the intersection of multiple, intentionally considered facets that lead to wellness. The wellness network is expressed through new synergistic relationships and fusions of physical amenities and experiential place-making ideas that break down familiar patterns and relationships to highlight unique lifestyle features, embody a community spirit, and create a safe-haven for all.
Susanne’s well-regarded reputation for innovation in design has been showcased through an extensive portfolio of speaking engagements and publications in leading architectural and industry journals.
Speaking + Publications
- “Less Is More,” Shopping Centre News, February 2018
- “Promoting Health in the Digital City,” 2017 Healthy City Design International Congress, London, England, September 2017
- “A New Golden Age,” Shopping Centre News, December 2017
- “Let the Games Begin,” Shopping Centre News, September 2017
- “Density by Design,” Urbis Workshop, November 2016
- “Talking Property on 2UE,” Edmondson Park Town Centre, ABC Radio, August 2016
- “The Future of Retail in Regional Areas,” Property Council of Australia Talk, 2014
- “GPT Wollongong Central: Unplugged,” Property Council of Australia Talk, 2014
- “Wollongong and the Night Time Economy,” Illawarra Business Chamber Night Talks, 2014
- “Retail and the Suburbs,” ABC Radio Interview, 2013
- “Wollongong Central a Hometown Dream for Architect Susanne Pini,” Illawarra Journal, October 2013
- “The Future of Retail,” GPT Conference, October 2012
- “How to Build a Town with Soul,” GPT Hachathon, December 2012
- “Wollongong Placemaking Event Aims to Revitalise City,” Property Council of Australia’s Illawarra Lunch, October 2012
- “The Future of Retail,” AMP Thought Leadership Interview, October 2012