HDR Receives Earth Day Omaha’s Friend of the Environment Award
HDR has received an Earth Day 2017 “Friend of the Environment” Business Award from the Earth Day Omaha Coalition. The organization is dedicated to increasing public awareness of environmental issues. HDR received the award at the organization’s Earth Day event this year.
The award recognizes individuals and businesses in five categories: individual, nonprofit organization, business, youth and lifetime achievement.
HDR received the Business Award for the following efforts:
- Omaha Green Team: The Omaha Green Team has made great strides to improve the business practices at our headquarters in Omaha. Green Teams are motivated employees who are passionate about sustainability and dedicated to building a culture of sustainability in our offices. More than 65 offices have Green Teams.
- Composting: HDR’s food waste and composting study was very useful and resulted in the decision to continue composting at our Omaha campus. As a result, continued composting efforts have reduced the number of on-site trash dumpsters by 50 percent. In 2016, HDR’s Omaha office diverted more than 20,000 pounds of waste from landfills and company-wide more than 43,000 pounds. We’ve also facilitated composting activities for five large internal conferences at the CenturyLink Center, resulting in over 6,300 pounds of composted material.
- Collection Events: There have been collection events over the past year to help employees properly dispose of unwanted items, including batteries, electronics, glass, holiday lights and plastic bags.
- Community Events: This is the third year HDR adopted Bowling Green Park in Omaha. Volunteers meet monthly to pick up trash, large brush and items to be recycled. HDR also partnered with Creighton University and the Arbor Day Foundation for a tree planting event on the Creighton campus this year on Earth Day.
- Employee Engagement and Education: HDR hosts activities and educational events for employees, including the second annual upcycling challenge in 2016 to repurpose existing materials, blogs, activity fairs, Earth Week activities and educational presentations.
For more than a century, HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and push the boundaries of what’s possible. Our expertise spans 10,000 employees, in more than 225 locations around the world — and counting. Our engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services bring an impressive breadth of knowledge to every project. Our optimistic approach to finding innovative solutions defined our past and drives our future.