HDR Receives Honors from the Nebraska Recycling Council and Keep Nebraska Beautiful
HDR and its Omaha office Green Team recently received two sustainability awards. They are the Green Team of the Year Award from the Nebraska Recycling Council and the business/industry award from Keep Nebraska Beautiful. Both awards were presented for HDR’s sustainability programs during 2017.
The Green Team of the Year award recognizes a highly organized, mature Green Team with the capacity to sustain itself and engage other employees. The Keep Nebraska Beautiful Award is for a business or industry that has demonstrated substantial efforts to enhance the environment through reducing, reusing, recycling and beautification within the business industry and their community.
The Omaha team is just one of more than 70 HDR Green Teams in the United States and Canada. They are made up of motivated employees from professional backgrounds who are passionate about sustainability and dedicated to building a culture of sustainability in our offices. HDR Green Teams work on initiatives including recycling and reducing waste, reducing energy needs and improving energy efficiency, and championing alternative transportation.
For the last decade HDR’s Green Teams have been working behind the scenes to help educate employees on sustainability benefits and best practices, and lead volunteer efforts in our communities. “The Green Teams make a distinct and unique impact in our company,” said Kim Sosalla-Bahr, senior sustainability consultant. “The Omaha Green Team has made great strides to improve the business practices at our headquarters in Omaha. The group has a unique distinction being at the company headquarters, because every project is bigger and more visible," Sosalla-Bahr said. “We see this as an opportunity to make a difference by developing initiatives that might be implemented across 225 office locations.” The two Omaha offices include more than 900 employees.
Sustainable activities by the Omaha Green Team over the past year include:
- Waste displays to educate staff about company waste reduction
- Recycling and composting more than 400 pounds of food waste per week, totaling nearly 20,000 pounds of waste diverted from landfills from June 2016 to May 2017
- Collection events, such as the plastic bags that Green Team members collected and prepared for a group that weaves bags into comfortable sleeping mats for homeless shelters. Other events include collection of 3,740 pounds of holiday lights as scrap and a moving truck full of electronics
- Many adopt-a-park clean-up events and a tree planting event with Creighton University and the Arbor Day Foundation
- Employee events to foster engagement and education, including a “Salute to Earth Week” in April
- A Smart Solutions program that focuses on smart travel, smart products and smart office environments, and collecting data that verifies the measurable effect of these programs.
Past awards include an HDR Green Team Award for Most Innovative Office Engagement in December 2016. In April, HDR received an Earth Day 2017 “Friend of the Environment” Business Award from the Earth Day Omaha Coalition.
For more than a century, HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and push the boundaries of what’s possible. Our expertise spans 10,000 employees, in more than 225 locations around the world — and counting. Our engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services bring an impressive breadth of knowledge to every project. Our optimistic approach to finding innovative solutions defined our past and drives our future.