Riverwood Breaks Ground on HDR-Designed Expansion
Riverwood Healthcare Center broke ground July 17 on a 45,000-square-foot, HDR-designed expansion to its medical campus in Aitkin, Minnesota. The $14.9 million project is a major expansion for the 11-acre site. HDR worked closely with Riverwood to develop a multi-phase plan that will enhance the patient experience of the hospital and streamline operations in patient care areas with projected completion in 2019. Physician input played a key role in expansion and renovation.
Key features of the design include:
- A new kidney dialysis facility to offer comprehensive kidney care in renovated space.
- Renovation of the primary care clinic in Aitkin to support team-based care and advance coordinated, patient-centered care.
- A specialty clinic redesign, allowing for the expansion of current services such as a new GI lab for the Minnesota Reflux & Heartburn Center.
- Expansion and relocation of the rehabilitation department leading to easier patient access.
- An expansion to aid the growth of the orthopedic department with additional imaging capabilities.
“I’m happy to see kidney care come to Aitkin,” said Ben Parker, MD, a nephrologist who provides kidney care at Riverwood’s specialty clinic, in a press release. “The dialysis unit will be an incredible help to family members and friends who now need to drive loved ones to Brainerd or Duluth for dialysis. I commend Riverwood for moving forward with this project as well as those offering financial support.”
HDR has guided the design for expansion and renovation since 2006 and Kraus-Anderson is working with Riverwood on construction.
HDR's Healthcare Experience
At HDR, we blend our deep knowledge of healthcare delivery with our understanding of how environments can shape behaviors and outcomes to create solutions for clients that respect the human impact of their work — solutions that champion human-centered design, solve real problems, make lives better and advance wellness, well-being, healing and cures.
For more than a century, HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and push the boundaries of what’s possible. Our expertise spans 10,000 employees, in more than 225 locations around the world — and counting. Our engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services bring an impressive breadth of knowledge to every project. Our optimistic approach to finding innovative solutions defined our past and drives our future.