HDR’s Duncan Paterson Answers Five Questions about Structural Health Monitoring in Latest ‘Experts Talk’
HDR’s latest Experts Talk interview introduces Duncan Paterson, Ph.D., P.E., the firm’s FHWA Long-Term Bridge Performance program manager.
Paterson earned his bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees in civil engineering. And with two decades in the transportation industry, he has led design and project management for many complex roadway and railroad bridges — both new and existing. His expertise in structural health monitoring has helped the firm’s clients bring greater precision to capital expenditure plans, and to make data-driven decisions about bridge design and maintenance. “The monitoring system and the technologies it uses should be tailored to particular conditions for each bridge,” Paterson said.
HDR’s Experts Talk interview series illuminates various aspects of transportation infrastructure design and delivery. Each subject matter expert offers unique expertise and insights about new and ongoing trends, emerging technologies and the human side of infrastructure.
Connect with Duncan on LinkedIn, or contact jackie.fox [at] hdrinc.com (Jackie Fox) for a headshot or to schedule an interview.
Previous Experts Talk interviews include:
- Manuel Carballo on Bridge Design Innovation. He discusses the 2nd Avenue Bridge replacement project in Detroit as an example of thinking beyond traditional methods.
- Tammy Heffron on Innovation Through Collaboration. She discusses the Platte Avenue over Sand Creek Bridge Replacement project in Colorado Springs, Colorado, as an example of successful collaboration.
- Robert Allen on Bridge Information Modeling (BrIM). He explains the advantages and the uses of BrIM, including how it supported decisions during construction of the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge in New York.
- Nick Burdette on Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC). He discusses ABC techniques, uses and benefits, and gives examples from the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge (N.C.), Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge (N.Y.) and Pennsylvania’s Rapid Bridge Replacement P3 project.
- Robert Moses on Movable Bridge Technical Solutions. He discusses enhancing traditional movable bridge designs by applying innovative materials, standardized materials and modern technologies that benefit owners and users alike.
About HDR's Transportation Experience
Our award-winning transportation practice is known for solving our clients' most complex mobility challenges across all modes of travel. We are helping with multibillion-dollar programs ranging from managing the Council Bluffs, Iowa Interstate rehabilitation program and the San Diego Mid-Coast Corridor Transit project to designing the I-4 Ultimate P3 project in Florida and the new Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge in New York. In addition to planning and engineering, our experts help clients advance projects and programs across the infrastructure life cycle with strategic funding, economic analysis, public engagement, real estate services, program/project controls, risk management and operations and maintenance.
For more than a century, HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and push the boundaries of what’s possible. Our expertise spans nearly 10,000 employees, in more than 200 locations around the world — and counting. Our engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services bring an impressive breadth of knowledge to every project. Our optimistic approach to finding innovative solutions defined our past and drives our future.