HDR’s Jeff Han Answers Five Questions about Mega Project Management for Signature Bridge Delivery in Latest ‘Experts Talk’
HDR’s latest Experts Talk Interview introduces Jeff Han, P.E. and principal project manager based in the Manhattan, New York, office.
Han addresses mega project management for signature bridge delivery, describing how designers of iconic bridge projects must take the lead in assembling diverse teams. These teams should bring a wide range of technical skills in order to implement and deliver comprehensive, quality plans. Han is a registered professional engineer in six states with a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering from the University of Maryland. He has over three decades of progressive experience in structural and civil engineering. At HDR he has served as a project director and project manager on various bridge rehabilitation and replacement projects including the New New York Bridge / Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge (replacing the Tappan Zee Bridge) and the 2018 ACEC Grand Conceptor Award winner, Bayonne Bridge Navigational Clearance project, as well as highway and transit design.
“Signature structures may rightly be viewed as engineering achievements,” Han said. “However, they must serve the community’s needs in order to be truly successful. The size of these projects separates them from traditional assignments and requires design teams with unique skillsets, and vast technical and operational expertise.”
HDR’s Experts Talk interview series shines a light on various aspects of transportation infrastructure design and delivery. Each subject matter expert offers unique expertise and insights about new and ongoing trends, emerging technologies and the human side of infrastructure.
Previous Experts Talk interviews related to bridge expertise include:
- Kuang Lim on Seismic Resiliency in Bridge Design. He looks at how the use of seismic analysis in bridge design and retrofits can create safer, more sustainable structures at similar construction costs.
- Duncan Paterson on Structural Health Monitoring. He discusses how structural health monitoring technology makes it possible to design and manage infrastructure assets to maximize value and efficiently use maintenance resources.
- Tammy Heffron on Innovation through Collaboration. She discusses the Platte Avenue over Sand Creek Bridge Replacement project in Colorado Springs, Colorado, as an example of successful collaboration.
- Nick Burdette on Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC). He discusses ABC techniques, uses and benefits, and gives examples from the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge (N.C.), Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge (N.Y.) and Pennsylvania’s Rapid Bridge Replacement P3 project.
- Robert Moses on Movable Bridge Technical Solutions. He discusses enhancing traditional movable bridge designs by applying innovative materials, standardized materials and modern technologies that benefit owners and users alike.
- Manuel Carballo on Bridge Design Innovation. He discusses the 2nd Avenue Bridge replacement project in Detroit as an example of thinking beyond traditional methods.
For more than a century, HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and push the boundaries of what’s possible. Our expertise spans nearly 10,000 employees, in more than 200 locations around the world — and counting. Our engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services bring an impressive breadth of knowledge to every project. Our optimistic approach to finding innovative solutions defined our past and drives our future.