22 HDR Projects Receive National Recognition
ACEC Honors HDR at Annual Ceremony
The American Council of Engineering Companies has recognized 22 HDR projects with national awards. The projects represent a wide range of disciplines and regions across the United States.
HDR’s Virginia Initiative Plant Nutrient Reduction Improvements project for the Hampton Roads Sanitation District won a Grand Award at the ceremony of ACEC’s 53rd Engineering Excellence Awards Gala online, rescheduled from March this year. A panel of nearly 30 judges selected this year’s most outstanding engineering accomplishments from more than 200 entries, in what’s known as the “Academy Awards” of the engineering industry.
Facing a sanitary sewer overflow consent decree and imminent stricter treatment limits, HRSD initiated the $161 million Virginia Initiative Plant Nutrient Reduction Improvements project to lower nutrient discharges, expand hydraulic capacity and replace aging equipment. HDR designed a unique versatile bioreactor that provides treatment flexibility, allowing in-series or in-parallel operation with the existing 3-stage nutrient removal process to achieve required effluent quality of 5 mg/l total nitrogen and 1 mg/l total phosphorus. The peak flow capacity increased from 80 MGD to 100 MGD with the capability to handle more than 120 MGD in the future. Using a phased delivery approach and fast-tracked construction schedule, the team completed the project on budget and on schedule.
5 HDR projects won Honor Awards:
- Aquifer Storage and Recovery Program, Hastings, Nebraska
- Bayou Sara Swing Bridge, Mobile County, Alabama
- HDR Global Headquarters, Omaha, Nebraska
- Marc Basnight Bridge, Dare County, North Carolina
- Poplar Street Bridge Widening and Rehabilitation, St. Louis, Missouri
16 HDR projects won National Recognition Awards:
- 2019 Flood Response and Recovery, Mills, Pottawattamie, Fremont and Harrison Counties, Iowa
- Ames Water Treatment Plant, Ames, Iowa
- Austin in Motion Corridor Improvement Plan, Austin, Texas
- Betasso Water Treatment Facility, Boulder, Colorado
- C Line Bus Rapid Transit, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Carolina Crossroad Corridor Improvement EIS, Columbia, South Carolina
- Clearwell Reservoir, Tucson, Arizona
- Cloverdale Road & I-84 Overpass Rebuild, Boise, Idaho
- Earthquake Ready Burnside Bridge Feasibility Study, Portland, Oregon
- I-95/I-93 Route 128 Transportation Improvement Project Bridge V, Needham to Wellesley, Massachusetts
- Navy Grumman Plume Study, Town of Oyster Bay, New York
- NE 45th Street East Approach Seismic Retrofit, Seattle, Washington
- Papillion Creek WRRF Emergency Flood Services, Omaha, Nebraska
- San Elijo Double Track, Encinitas, California
- Fish Passageway Program, Thurston County, Washington
- Water Street Trestle No. 2, Ketchikan, Alaska
For over a century, HDR has partnered with clients to shape communities and push the boundaries of what’s possible. Our expertise spans more than 10,000 employees in more than 200 locations around the world — and counting. Our engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services bring an impressive breadth of knowledge to every project. Our optimistic approach to finding innovative solutions defined our past and drives our future. For more information, please visit www.hdrinc.com.