Edmonds Community Centre and Fred Randall Pool
The design of the Edmonds Community Centre and Fred Randall Pool began by involving all key stakeholders in a significant public engagement effort to ensure that the facility would meet the needs of the diverse demographics in the neighborhood. The public engagement phase of the project included a three-day design charrette that helped to achieve consensus for what would be included in the building. By being responsive to a wide range of user needs, the facility was able to offer a rich mix of services and amenities that combines social, recreational and cultural aspects.
The facility's architecture is informed by the urban and low-rise context of a residential street to the south and the park setting to the north. This results in a dynamic transition between the calm and restrained Edmonds Street area and the more expressive urban area to the north.
An atrium-style lobby provides transparency and links between key elements of the facility, while creating a welcoming space for staff, patrons and visitors.
- Silver Award, General Contractor ($15M to $40M), Vancouver Regional Construction Association Awards of Excellence, 2013
- President's Trade Award, Vancouver Regional Construction Association Awards of Excellence, 2013
- Facility Excellence Award, BC Recreation & Parks Association, 2015
- IPC/IAKS Distinction Award for Accessibility, 2015
- Sustainable Features: Bioswales, Daylighting & Views, Green Space, Heat Island Reduction Strategies
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 95,000 SF (8,826 SM)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Design, Interior Design, Planning, Programming
- Project Components: Aquatics Center, Atrium/Lobby, Child Minding, Childcare, Fitness Center, Gymnasium, Kitchen, Locker Room, Lounge, Multipurpose Space, Playground, Senior Center, Youth Center
- Project Type: Community Center
- Related Projects: Architecture, Sport & Recreation