Interdisciplinary Science & Technology Building (ISTB) 4
ISTB 4 is a transdisciplinary research facility and the home of ASU's newly formed School of Earth and Space Exploration (SESE) as well as program areas including synthetic chemistry, astrophysics, environmental engineering and energy research initiatives. As some research will be conducted at the nanoscale, the facility is designed to accommodate sensitive vibration impacts. It also offers substantial flexibility for both wet and dry bench research activities and can accommodate further conversion to BSL-3 laboratories in the future.
Significant space for researchers to collaborate and share ideas outside of their labs and offices has been incorporated into the design of this new building, thus fostering the idea of transdisciplinary research to address science's most challenging problems. At the heart of the building, both laboratories and offices are organized around a five-story atrium whose perimeter is equipped with a variety of conference, reproduction, and collaborative spaces. Furthermore, the laboratories are configured in an "L-shape" block, wrapping around the faculty and student office areas, providing the maximum physical proximity of laboratories to the offices that support them. At the floor of the atrium is the "Idea Exchange," the intellectual living room of this social center.
The ISTB 4 project was designed using an integrated project delivery process. Team members included HDR Architecture Inc., Ehrlich Architects, and Sundt Construction.
- 2013 Best Education Project - Arizona Real Estate magazine, RED Awards
- 2012 Award of Merit, Higher Education/Research Category - ENR Southwest, Best Projects contest
- 2012 Exellence in Structural Engineering, New Buildings Over $10 Million - Structural Engineers Association of Arizona
- Sustainable Features: LEED Gold
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 285,000 SF (26,500 m2)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Planning
- Project Components: Atrium, Classroom, Cleanroom, Collaborative Spaces, Conference Rooms, Dining/Café, Metrology Research Laboratory
- Project Type: Academic, Academic Building, Basic and Applied Science Facilities, Research Laboratory, Science + Technology
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Research, Science & Technology, Teaching
- Related Links: