The largest, most complex biocontainment facility ever designed, this replacement building significantly decompresses and increases USAMRIID's biomedical laboratory and vivarium research capabilities.
The facility will reinforce USAMRIID's role as the cornerstone national research program within the National Interagency Biodefense Campus and facilitate USAMRIID's mission: to conduct basic and applied medical research resulting in vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostic tools to protect military service members and the American public.
The BSL-4 and BSL-3e spaces employ many technical enhancements allowing researchers to work together safely and effectively to respond quickly to critical emerging biological threats, including the world's deadliest pathogens.
Designed by HDR and Smith Carter.
- Sustainable Features: Daylighting & Views, Heat Island Reduction Strategies, LEED Registered, Photovoltaics, Stormwater Management, Water Efficient Landscaping
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 835,000 SF (77,610 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Planning
- Project Components: ABSL 3 Biocontainment, ABSL 4 Biocontainment, Aerobiology, Atrium, BSL 2 Biocontainment, BSL 3 Biocontainment, BSL 3-e Biocontainment, BSL4 Biocontainment, Bacteriology, Bioinformatics, Cleanroom, Imaging, NMR Laboratory, Offices, Proteomics, Toxicology, Toxinology, Training Facilities, Virology, Vivarium
- Project Type: Containment, Controlled Environment, Critical Environment, Federal, Government and Institutional, Science + Technology, Vivaria
- Related Projects: Architecture, Containment, Federal, Federal Architecture, Science & Technology, Vivaria