Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and KAET-TV
This multiple award-winning signature building, sited in the urban context of the new ASU Downtown Campus, is the first ground-up facility for the campus. Within its vertically-oriented program stack are classrooms of varying size and office space for the School of Journalism, and production and broadcast facilities for PBS Affiliate KAET-TV. A large central atrium provides a casual place for students to congregate, as well as an open forum for lectures and public presentations.
Driven by the need to have the facility open in time for classes in Fall 2008, the team used the Integrated Design Process (IDP) to meet a highly accelerated design and construction schedule. No change orders were issued; a stunning result saving the client money and accommodating ASU's academic calendar. Despite the accelerated schedule, the project also achieved LEED Silver certification.
This project was completed with Sundt Construction and Ehrlich Architects.
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 225,000 SF (20,900 m²)
- Professional Services: Engineering, Planning, Program Management, Programming
- Project Components: Atrium, Auditorium, Broadcast Facilities, Classroom, Collaborative Spaces, Conference Rooms, Lecture Hall, Lounge Area, Multipurpose Space, Offices, Retail, Student Services
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Science & Technology, Teaching
- Related Links: