Brendan Iribe Center
The new Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Innovation is positioning the University of Maryland to lead a transformational era in computer science that will radically impact medicine, education, gaming, and commerce. Bringing together the university's top-ranked Department of Computer Science and its renowned Institute for Advanced Computer Studies (UMIACS), the center will support groundbreaking research in virtual and augmented reality, artificial intelligence, robotics, computer vision, algorithms, and programming languages / systems.
The advances developed at the center will help create a virtuous cycle of innovation due to synergies among high-tech companies, government agencies, and institutional colleagues. Students and faculty alike will experiment and create in open work areas and makerspaces filled with natural light. Flexible classrooms will promote teamwork and active learning. And welcoming common areas—including an expansive green space along Baltimore Avenue—will extend the collaborative environment to the broader community.
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 215,600 SF (20,029 SM)
- Project Components: Atrium, Auditorium, Classroom, Collaborative Spaces, Computer Simulation Laboratory, Courtyard, Dining/Café, Lounge Area, Offices
- Project Type: Academic Building, Higher Education, Research Laboratory
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Research
- Related Links: