Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratory
This containment laboratory, the largest in the world dedicated to human health, is open and bright, extremely flexible and contains the highest-level biosafety laboratories.
Winning Laboratory of the Year Special Mention in 2006, it is in CDC's words "the most advanced laboratory facility in the world." The new facility includes BSL-4 laboratories capable of handling life-threatening and exotic pathogens for which there are no treatments or vaccines.
The facility is the first to provide multiple combinations of BSL-3 and BSL-4 modules and shared specimen support space, providing expanded mission critical space and greatly improved working conditions.
- Sustainable Features: Daylighting & Views, Energy Efficiency, LEED Registered
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 420,000 SF (39,000 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Planning
- Project Components: ABSL 3 Biocontainment, ABSL 4 Biocontainment, BSL 2 Biocontainment, BSL 3 Biocontainment, BSL 3-e Biocontainment, BSL4 Biocontainment, Biocontainment, Central Utility Plant, High Containment, Imaging, Infectious Disease Laboratory, Offices, Training Facilities, Vivarium
- Project Type: Containment, Federal, Government and Institutional, Science + Technology, Vivaria
- Related Projects: Architecture, Containment, Federal, Federal Architecture, Public Health, Science + Technology, Vivaria