Martin Luther King, Jr. Outpatient Center
A model for culturally-sensitive healthcare, the Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Outpatient Center is part of a transformative and phased county program to upgrade existing facilities on the 38-acre MLK Medical Center campus in Los Angeles. Envisioned as a new beginning, the four-level OSHPD-3-compliant facility is designed to help reestablish the campus as a healthcare leader in the community. Adjacent to the hospital, the high-tech, outpatient center is accessible, safe and treats the patient in a whole-person approach to care. The contemporary design with steel and glass materials fits seamlessly within the context of the existing campus and reflects the bright new vision for the medical "village."
Symbolizing the center's 360-degree approach to preventative care and overall wellness, a circular drive in the front of the building flows into 10 acres of well-lit and landscaped on-site parking. A cantilevered clear glass façade, allowing natural daylight into the building and panoramic views to the city, opens to a two-story, light-filled atrium. Patients can access 70 outpatient clinics within the center for a wide-range of services including outpatient surgery and diagnostic and rehabilitation services, such as dental, oncology, women's services and physical and occupational therapy. Finishes in the LEED-Gold-designed facility were chosen to be sustainable, aesthetically pleasing and to control the spread of infection.
Medical care is not the only focus of the facility—it's also the area's nucleus for academic research, teaching and economic development. Named for Dr. King, an advocate for community healthcare with a vision of peace and hope for the future, the transparent entry celebrates his legacy in a very public, though personal way: visitors are greeted by a full, story-high mural of him framed in the glass façade of the entry.
- 2015 Healthcare Award - 45th Annual Los Angeles Architectural Awards
- Sustainable Features: Bike Racks, Daylighting & Views, Low-Emitting Materials, Stormwater Management
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 136,463 SF (12,600 m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Construction Administration, Construction Management, Medical Equipment Planning, Sustainable Design Consulting
- Project Components: Ambulatory Services, Gastroenterology, Imaging, Medical Clinic, Oncology, Orthopedic, Outpatient Clinic, Pediatric, Pharmacy, Pulmonary, Surgery (outpatient)
- Project Type: Ambulatory Care Facility
- Related Projects: Ambulatory Care, Architecture, Healthcare
- Related Links: