Mike O'Callaghan - Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge (Hoover Dam Bypass)
The Central Federal Lands Highway Division (CFLHD) of the Federal Highway Administration awarded us a contract to provide design and construction support services for the landmark Mike O'Callaghan - Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge. Under the management of CFLHD, we led an integrated team of professionals from HDR, T.Y. Lin International and Jacobs Engineering (formerly Sverdrup) which was collectively known as the Hoover Support Team. Several supporting specialty subconsultants completed the design team.
The work included design of roadway grading and paving, bridges, wildlife crossings, drainage, lighting, utilities, traffic management systems, pedestrian accommodations, interpretive exhibits, high-voltage transmission line relocations and a signature long-span bridge over the Colorado River. It also included geotechnical engineering, survey and mapping, and corridor architectural design.
HDR was responsible for designing the Nevada approach, including a high level crossing of Gold Strike Canyon; two grade separations with existing U.S. 93; a grade separation with the Lower Portal Road; and the Nevada interchange with existing U.S 93, which will become the Hoover Dam access road. HDR subconsultant, Jacobs Engineering, designed the Arizona approach consisting of a major bridge near Sugarloaf Mountain and the Arizona interchange. The landmark river bridge, featuring the longest concrete arch in North America, was designed by a joint team led by T.Y. Lin with major support from HDR. The 3.5-mile corridor includes 1 mile of approach roadway in Arizona, 2.1 miles of roadway in Nevada and a nearly 1,900-foot-long crossing of the Colorado River approximately 1,500 feet downstream from the dam.
- 2014 - Special Mention, fib Awards for Outstanding Concrete Structures, The International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib)
- 2013 - Award of Excellence, Major Civil Engineering Projects, Centenary Awards, International Federation of Consulting Engineers
- 2012 - Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award, American Society of Civil Engineers
- 2011 - Grand Conceptor Award, Engineering Excellence Awards, American Council of Engineering Companies
- 2011 - Grand Award, Engineering Excellence Awards, American Council of Engineering Companies of Nevada
- 2011 - Eugene C. Figg, Jr. Medal, International Bridge Conference
- 2011 - First Place, Bridges (Projects > $100 Million) Category, Globe Awards, American Road & Transportation Builders Association
- 2011 - Excellence in Structural Engineering Award, Bridges and Transportation Structures Category, Structural Engineers Association of Arizona
- 2011 - Be Inspired Award Winner, Innovation in Bridges Category, Bentley Be Inspired Awards
- 2011 - Public Works Project of the Year, Transportation | Cost Greater Than $75 Million Category, American Public Works Association
- 2011 - Bridge Award of Excellence, American Segmental Bridge Institute
- 2011 - Outstanding Project, Bridges and Transportation Structures Category, Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards, National Council of Structural Engineers Associations