Carbon-Neutral Energy Solutions Laboratory
Georgia Tech is committed to developing its campus "in a way that supports the larger aspirations of the Institute by encouraging the development of a sustainable campus community, creating distinctive architecture and open spaces." In keeping with this goal, Georgia Tech has a clear mission for its new Carbon-Neutral Energy Solutions Laboratory: carbon neutral "net-zero site energy use."
The facility sets a new standard for sustainable design for buildings of its type by optimizing passive energy technologies, reducing electricity loads, and maximizing the use of renewable energy. It houses a variety of energy research programs requiring large scale (high-bay) and intermediate scale (mid-bay) capabilities, and the design is intended to express its mission simply, directly and honestly; a "no frills" design. The laboratory has achieved LEED-NC Platinum certification.
The project and effort depicted is sponsored by the Department of Commerce under the grant from the National Institute of Standards and Technology. The content above does not necessarily reflect the position or the policy of the U.S. government, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
- 2013 High Honors - R&D Magazine Laboratory of the Year Awards
- 2013 Beyond Green™ Award of Merit for High Distinction in High-Performance Buildings – National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) and Sustainable Buildings Industry Council
- 2013 Merit Award, Excellence in Architecture category - Society of College and University Planners (SCUP)/American Institute of Architects Committe on Architecture for Education (AIA-CAE) Excellence Awards
- 2012 Merit Award Built Category - American Institute of Architects (AIA), Georgia Chapter
- 2012 Merit Award, General Design Category - American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), Georgia Chapter
- 2012 Best Project, Green Building Category - ENR Southeast, Best Projects contest
- 2009 Merit Award, Unbuilt Category - American Institute of Architects (AIA), New Jersey Chapter
- Sustainable Features: Carbon Neutral, Daylighting & Views, Energy Efficiency, Geothermal Energy, LEED Platinum, Net Zero Energy, Occupant Lighting Control, Occupant Thermal Control, Photovoltaics, Renewable Energy On-site
- Type of Construction: New Construction
- Size: 42,000 SF (3,900m²)
- Professional Services: Architecture, Engineering, Planning
- Project Components: Manufacturing Facilities, Material Science Laboratory, Offices
- Project Type: Academic, Basic and Applied Science Facilities, Higher Education, Research Laboratory, Science + Technology
- Related Projects: Academic, Architecture, Physical Sciences, Research, Science & Technology
- Related Links: