JAXPORT Capital Improvement Program GEC
As a self-supporting public agency, the mission of the Jacksonville Port Authority (JAXPORT) is to be the driving economic engine in northeast Florida as a premier diversified port with connections to major world-wide trade lanes. JAXPORT owns and operates three public marine terminals, and one passenger cruise terminal: the Blount Island Marine Terminal, the Talleyrand Marine Terminal, the Dames Point Marine Terminal, and the JAXPORT Cruise Terminal. JAXPORT develops, manages and markets these publicly owned facilities to promote the growth of maritime and related industries in Jacksonville and beyond.
HDR proudly supports JAXPORT via our role as the Port's on-call A/E consultant responsible for providing engineering design and oversight for a broad spectrum of infrastructure development projects that comprise the Port's current Capital Improvement Plan. Currently in the third year of a three-year contract (with two single-year extension options), HDR has supported the Port in developing the construction contract drawings and in providing engineering support during construction of more than $60 million in needed facilities improvements. HDR's team has supported JAXPORT in obtaining state and federal grants to support several key initiatives, and the design and engineering services provided include:
- Facilities inspections and condition reports for all major waterfront infrastructure
- Construction of full rail infrastructure upgrade and replacement at Blount Island Marine Terminal, including on-dock rail
- Facilities-wide drainage, rail siding and pavement improvements
- Major wharf reconstruction projects at Blount Island and Talleyrand Marine Terminal, including capacity upgrades at Blount Island. These projects encompass eight operating mixed cargo wharves totaling 1.3 miles of major facility reconstruction.
- Security enhancement projects, including installation of access control and CCTV and analytics hardware and software for centralized security command and control
- Hazardous material monitoring and management for legacy contaminated properties at Talleyrand Marine Terminal
- Construction supervision and observation (select projects)
- Support in evaluating further planning objectives, such as forecasting cost and implications for future facility improvements necessary for harbor deepening, procurement of post-panamax capable cranes and crane electrification
In a recent letter, JAXPORT's Senior Director of Facilities Development had the following to say about the services thus far provided by HDR: "Under their current multi-year, multi-task contract with JAXPORT, HDR has provided and continues to provide an outstanding level of service in support of our implementation of a capital improvement and infrastructure development plan … Throughout the execution of their work to date, HDR has demonstrated their commitment to providing a high level of client service.
"HDR personnel have worked closely with JPA staff in order to successfully negotiate mutually agreeable design fees and schedules. Their technical staff has consistently employed innovative, cost-effective solutions to address the challenges at hand, and has provided sound collaborative recommendations for enhancing contract structure and language to provide improved owner control over potential cost and scope creep during construction. Finally, I have the highest
level of confidence in HDR and their abilities and highly recommend the firm and their